Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Brain Dump

hi everyone,

There has been so many different scenarios where I wanted to stop by and tell you. Of course, the moment passes, I forget or it gets lost in a constant whirlwind of life.

Certainly at the top of the pops is my girl. She's driving independantly now. She drives herself to school everday. She drives to the shops. She drives to hang out with her friends. She drives her friends around (for a petrol fee) and well, I'm free now.  I'm no longer required to be there for those needs and it's taken a bit of adjusting but I'll be okay. I'm viewing it how it is - a positive and moving on.

The other thing that's on my mind is my placements for my Social Work degree.

Recently I saw Dr Bruce Perry speak here in Adelaide.  He's a child psychiatrist from Houston TX and his research and practice centers around the neuron-development stage of the brain when it comes to children who have experienced trauma. Basically, their brain is robbed of things by the actions or inactions of others. This puts them behind the eight-ball when it comes to forming attachments, loving relationships and other essential requirements to lead a well balanced meaningful life. I've read his first book "The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog"  and couldn't put it down.  He's provided therapeutic engagement to children from the Columbine School massacre, the Waco Cult and other amazing feats. He's got a great sense of humour to boot.

For my degree, I am required to do a work placement in 3rd year and 4th year.  The total numbers of required hours on the job is 500 hours per placement. This equates to about 13  weeks. I have contacted the head office of Dr Perry in Houston TX and they've been supportive in hosting me in either their office or one of their partner offices. The partner offices include Calgary, Ohio, Kansas, North Dakota, California, New Mexico, Vermont and a couple of others.  I spoke with a Canadian friend at work who said that Calgary is fun, full of rodeos (which I despise) and cowboys. She said 4:1 men to women and laughed with encouragement for me to pick Calgary.  Also, this would give me a chance to meet Ed a friend in Lethbridge Canada and George who lives in Thunder Bay.

The other option is a University Exchange with one of the Uni's sister colleges. These are many but include Buffalo, Minnesota, University of Victoria (BC) and a couple of others. My friend this time said University of Victoria is beautiful as is Ryerson - her old Uni also in Canada.

I'm excited now. I have always been keen to work in USA especially in child sex offense because of the prevalence of it over there. It's always been my ideal to work with parents and children in an education program to protect their babies. Targeting the most vulnerable and the most silent..... they're the ones that are found dead.

So now, I just have to figure out how when what and why. Next Wednesday I'm meeting with my Field Placement Officer to discuss 3rd year placement which will be local. I'll probably target Witness Support Services in Courts and Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services. I would prefer supporting families of victims though through the justice system.  I wish I had thought this through earlier so I could go overseas for my 3rd year but if I'm honest with myself, I have to admit working overseas on 4th year would help me feel more confident.  Carissa will be in her first year of Uni, independant and an adult.

Who knows - if I get a job offer post-placement I might not come back for awhile.

As usual, I love your feedback and your comments.

I hope you're taking care of yourself.

Lots of it,
Cath

8 comments:

lx said...

Keep in mind that Canada has brutally long cold Winters. Except Vancouver, which has lots of rain instead.

Best wishes on whichever you decide!

Electro-Kevin said...

Great to have opportunities and how you have earned them !

Now you need some great, filthy sex.

Wow, that was awkward said...

No Colorado options?

Ms Smack said...

Lewis, the cold does frighten me, I'll admit. I'm not sure I could function...

EK - you're so right. The guy I was going to call up to take care of those needs reunited with his rather possessive girlfriend, and now he's not even allowed out for a steak!

Brett - yes, there was a Co option actually, in Denver. Also one in North Carolina.

Ms Smack said...

Here are the partner sites.

http://childtrauma.org/index.php/about-cta/cta-partners

Wow, that was awkward said...

Wel,l duh!!!! Get your Aussie ass to the Rocky Mountains!!

Jayne said...

You've worked bloody hard Kath, so wherever you end up, I have the sneaking suspicion that you'll certainly make the most of it. Apart from that, the knowledge & experience you'll gain from a coupla years will be invaluable.
Well done hon :-)

Memphis Steve said...

Are sex offenses supposed to be more prevalent in the US than other Western nations? I had never heard that before. I knew we had more than our share of bad drivers, though, so maybe those people are also more prone to being sex offenders. Actually, thinking as I type, a lot of crimes that are sex offenses and are recognized as such in many other Western countries are ignored by our own laws, so perhaps you're right about that. I honestly have no clue, obviously.